Transfer Student Quick Facts


For all transfer students.

Preferred application filing dates:

Spring semester: October 15
Summer semester: March 1
Fall semester: April 1 (Though it is after the priority date, UMW is still accepting transfer applications.)

See the application for admission.

Required application documents:

In addition to the application for admission, UMW requires the following items:

    • Official college transcript (one from each college/university attended)
    • Final high school transcript
    • SAT/ACT scores (for students who have completed fewer than 30 credits)
    • Letters of recommendation (encouraged)


TransferScholarship Graphic

For those from the Virginia Community College System or Richard Bland College.

The University of Mary Washington welcomes applicants from the VCCS and RBC. In fall 2011, 65 percent of our enrolled transfer students joined us from these institutions. Many were able to streamline the admissions process through the Guaranteed Admissions Agreement (GAA).

Who qualifies for the Guaranteed Admissions Agreement?

A student who completes an associate’s degree with a 3.25 minimum cumulative grade-point average (GPA). Learn more about the guaranteed admission agreement.

Can I transfer without an associate’s degree or without qualifying for the GAA?

Yes. Students who have not earned an associate’s degree or do not qualify for the GAA are encouraged to secure a GPA of 3.0 or higher and at least 30 transferrable credits, and to complete a class in math, foreign language, writing composition, and a lab science.

How do my credits transfer to UMW?

The University of Mary Washington accepts most credits from the VCCS. For a list of transferrable courses, please use the transfer credit guide on our website.

For those transferring from a 4-year college/university.

For a student transferring from a 4-year college/university, UMW considers a 3.0 GPA competitive. We also will look at grade trends and course selection.

How are transfer credits evaluated?

The University of Mary Washington completes a transfer credit evaluation at the time of admission. The Registrar’s Office evaluates the courses, looking for grades of C or higher and whether we offer equivalent courses.