International Transfer Applicant Process

The University of Mary Washington welcomes students from other countries. Student who previously enrolled at another college or university – whether it is located inside or outside the United States – are considered transfer students. Admission requirements at the University of Mary Washington are selective to ensure that all admitted students succeed after they enroll. Applicants should have above average grades. Successful applicants will have also taken demanding courses with strong preparation in the areas of math, lab science, social science, English, and foreign language. Personal qualities and individual talents are also considered in the admission process. We appreciate your interest and look forward to receiving your application.

Suggested Filing Dates

Spring admission – October 15
Summer admission – March 1
Fall admission – April 1

How to Apply

(1) Submit The Common Application and essay with your $50 USD application fee or approved fee waiver. Please download the PDF and send a paper copy. Online applications require a credit card or e-check payment.

(2) Request that every secondary school, college, university, technical/vocational institute, or professional institution you have attended send your complete, official academic records or transcripts to
Office of Admissions
University of Mary Washington
1301 College Ave.
Fredericksburg, VA  22401


All records must be in English and should bear the original stamp or seal of the institution and the signature of a school official. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a complete, literal English translation certified by the issuing institution.

Demonstration Of English Proficiency

If English is not your first language and you are not currently attending an institution where instruction is in English, you must pass one of following tests and submit the results. The minimum test scores are indicated below:

SEVIS Transfer I-20 Request Form

If you are currently attending a college or university in the United States, you will need to submit a Visa Transfer Clearance Form and some additional documentation. (This requirement does not apply to students transferring from a college or university outside the United States.)

Please provide the following items:

  •  Sevis Transfer I-20 Form – Copy of your current Form I-20 documentation, or if your immigration status is derived from your parent or spouse, please include supporting documents of the primary visa holder
  • Copy of the front and back of your current Form I-94
  • Financial verification document: original bank statement(s)
  • Copy of your passport photo page

 Other Visa Holders

If your immigration status is derived from someone else (for example, a parent or spouse), include primary visa holder supporting documents:

  • Copy of the front and back of your current Form I-94
  • Copy of your passport photo page

Note: These documents can be scanned or faxed to 540/654-1857.