If you are a Virginia resident, you may be considered for the Washington Scholars program. Priority is given to those who apply for admission to the University of Mary Washington by November 15, 2014. The Washington Scholar will receive an award equal to full tuition, fees, room, and board. The scholarship is renewable through four years of undergraduate study.
The Washington Scholars program recognizes Virginia high school seniors with exceptional academic credentials. Two Washington Scholarships will be awarded to incoming freshmen for the fall of 2015.
Alvey Scholars Program
If you are an out of state resident, you may be considered for the Alvey Scholars program which is given every other year. The Alvey Scholar will receive an award equal to full tuition, fees, room, and board. The scholarship is renewable through four years of undergraduate study.
The Alvey Scholars program recognizes out of state high school seniors with exceptional academic credentials. One Alvey Scholarship will be awarded to an incoming freshman for the fall of 2015.
Qualified candidates must be students who are:
- Legal resident of Virginia (Washington Scholar)
- Legal out of state resident (Alvey Scholar)
- Offered admission to the Honors Program at the University of Mary Washington.
- Full-time, residing on-campus except for two semesters of approved educational experiences
Preference is given to students who:
- Are finalists or semi-finalists in the National Merit Scholarship competition, valedictorians, and salutatorians
- Show promise for providing service and leadership to the college community through extracurricular activities
Semi-finalist candidates are invited and expected to participate in the following on-campus activities in March 2015:
- The Washington and Alvey Scholars Banquet
- Destination UMW featuring an academic showcase
- An individual interview with the Scholarship Committee
The final selections are to be made by the Associate Provost for Admissions and Financial Aid with recommendation from the Scholarship Committee. The full-ride recipient will be notified by April 1.
- Enroll as a full-time UMW student each semester
- Maintain a UMW grade point average of 3.25 during the first semester and 3.50 each semester thereafter, based on a 4.00 grading scale