The University of Mary Washington looks forward to reading your application for admission. Please review the checklist to ensure you are submitting all required documentation.
Preferred Application Dates
Fall admission – April 1 (Though it is after the priority date, UMW is still accepting transfer applications.)
Spring admission – October 15
Summer admission – March 1
- Submit The Common Application, essay, and application fee or approved waiver online.
- International students should review the specific documentation required of non-U.S. citizens.
- Request that your high school send an official transcript to UMW. A final high-school transcript is required for all applicants regardless of age or number of transfer credits. If you have previously applied to the University as a freshman applicant, we are asking for your final high-school transcript. Applicants who completed a GED may submit final results. Home-schooled applicants should provide documentation of their educational experiences.
- Request each college or university you have attended send an official transcript directly to UMW. An official credit evaluation will be completed by the Office of the Registrar and sent to you electronically.
- If you are completing an associate’s degree in arts, sciences, or arts and sciences at a Virginia community college and wish to invoke the Guaranteed Admission Agreement, please complete and submit the GAA Student Intent Form to your counselor.
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1. Use UMW code 003746.
Standardized tests are not required for applicants who have completed at least 30 transferable credits (semester hours) at an accredited post-secondary institution.
Additional helpful information:
- If you have taken the SAT or ACT using something other than your full legal name, please notify Admissions.
- UMW will send electronic notification that an application has been received and notify the applicant of any missing documents still necessary to complete the file.
- We encourage you to keep copies of all application materials filed with the Office of Admissions.
- It is your responsibility to verify Admissions receives all required supporting documentation to complete your file.
- Admissions decisions are sent by letter as files are completed and reviewed, and decisions are made.
- Adult students wishing to complete a bachelor’s degree at UMW have several options including the Bachelor of Liberal Studies. This program may provide greater flexibility and transfer of credit from non-traditional sources. For additional information on this degree program, please visit Adult Degree Completion admissions or contact Admissions at 540/654-2000 or 800/468-5614.