Available Program Options include:
- Diverse Student Populations
- Educational Leadership- Cohort format– Fall admission only
- Literacy Specialist- NEW Cohort format for Fall 2014! Fall admission only
- Secondary Mathematics
- Special Education General Curriculum
- Special Education Adapted Curriculum
- Teaching English as a Second Language
Recommended Filing Dates
Recommended filing dates are designed to give newly admitted students an optimal opportunity for class registration. We will continue to accept applications on a rolling basis after these dates.
Fall Admission: April 15 – We are still accepting applications for Fall 2014!
Spring Admission: September 15
Summer Admission: February 15
Educational Leadership Application Filing Date: June 1
- Submit a completed Application for Admission, and a non-refundable $50 application fee; APPLY ONLINE AND HAVE YOUR $50 APPLICATION FEE WAIVED!;
- Submit an official transcript from every college or university you’ve attended even if the courses were transferred to another institution;
- Have earned an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university,
- Have an undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher—2.75 or higher for the Educational Leadership Program—on undergraduate course work and 3.0 or higher on graduate course work;
- Provide a résumé outlining work experience and education. In addition to your paid work experience and leadership roles you have assumed, please include all volunteer experience related to education – for example, coaching, teaching religious education, working with Scouts, volunteering in a school, etc.;
- An interview may be required as part of the admission process, but would be initiated by the Admissions Committee;
- Provide verification of the current Virginia Collegiate Professional or Graduate Professional license;
- Submit two essays (2-3 typed, double-spaced pages each):
- What do you hope to gain from the M.Ed. program? What contributions do you feel you can make to the program as a participant?
- Discuss a current issue in education, why you think it is important, and your stance on it.
Educational Leadership (M.Ed. or Added Endorsement)
Admission requirements include all elements of other programs listed above as well as:
- Three years of experience as a licensed teacher;
- Three Recommendations on the forms provided from your immediate supervisor and others qualified to address your teaching performance and leadership potential (References may be contacted about the leadership potential of the candidate.);
- An interview, and
- A writing exercise as part of the interview that may involve responding to a case study or producing a sample administrative letter;
- Submit two essays below in place of the two essays questions listed above (2-3 typed, double-spaced pages each);
- Discuss a current issue in educational leadership that you might face as an educational leader.
- A statement of purpose in which you discuss your current and future leadership goals. What contributions do you feel you can make to the program as a participant?